- This event has passed.
UCLA Forensic Evaluation Training
September 22, 2018 @ 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
Introduction to the Forensic Medical Evaluation of Asylum Seekers
Thank you for your interest in this training session on conducting forensic medical evaluations for individuals seeking asylum in the U.S. hosted by the DGSOM Asylum Clinic and the OVMC Human Rights Clinic.
This specialized training will include:
– An overview of the operations of the PHR Asylum Network
– An introduction to asylum law and updates on new legislation impacting asylum applicants
– The foundations of scientifically-based forensic evidence collection and documentation
– Basic and advanced interviewing techniques with asylum clients
– Detailed instruction on how to conduct physical and psychological evaluations and document the sequelae of torture and other forms of persecution
– An overview of the U.S. immigration detention system and a discussion on issues affecting the health of detained immigrants
– The content of the training is derived from the Istanbul Protocol, PHR’s training manual and the experts own experiences.